Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Maze Runner by James Dashner


Title: The Maze Runner
Author: James Dashner
Rating: A-

Summary from Amazon
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

Review
This is actually the second time I have tried to read The Maze Runner. I checked it out from the library a few months ago because I had read some awesome reviews on it and I am a huge dystopian fan. This first time I tried to read it I only read the first 20 or so pages because I just could not get into the book. I ended up returning it without finishing the book. I decided to read it again because I knew that there were so many people that raved about the book and maybe I was just not giving it a chance. I knew that I was obviously missing something. This was definitely a lesson in second chances.

Well, let's just say I proved myself wrong. The Maze Runner is an awesome book! It is a perfect dystopian book and has many surprising twists and turns. I loved the interactions between the many different characters, especially Thomas and Teresa. Their relationship keeps you guessing throughout the entire book. Once I finished reading, I definitely wanted to find out what happens next! Dashner has solved that problem for me in writing the sequel The Scorch Trials which I have already requested from the library. This is a must read for any dystopian fans and for anyone who is looking for a book that will always keep you guessing.

Happy Reading!
Bookaholic

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book! It has been on my wish list forever but I have still not gotten around to buying it. Maybe sometime soon.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and I hope you enjoy The Shadow Project. :) Let me know what you think if you read it.

    -Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this talked about everywhere, but for some reason I never bothered to find out more about it. I vaguely knew it was dystopian, but that was all.

    Thanks to your review though, it's been added to my Bottomless Pit of a Wishlist. I do that all the time though - decide to reread a book I gave up on and end up loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a few great things about this book! I'm glad you liked it more on your second reading, sometimes I have to be in a mood for a certain book.

    This one is on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! This is the first actual review I've read on The Maze Runner, but I have seen it in a few IMMs.
    I had no clue what it was about, but now thanks to you I have to go out, buy it, and read it(:

    Awesome review,

    lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    PS new follower!

    ReplyDelete