Friday, February 24, 2012

REVIEW: Memoir of a Milk Carton Kid


Title: Memoir of Milk Carton Kid
Author: Tanya Nicole Kach and Lawrence Fisher
Grade: B +
Source: Bought

Synopsis from Amazon:
Told from the perspective of Tanya Nicole Kach, Memoir of a Milk Carton Kid is the haunting story of a girl, lost in the cracks of the system, forced to spend more than ten years as the prisoner of her school's security guard. From her troubled childhood, through her captivity at the hands of a manipulative captor, and ultimately on her road to recovery, Tanya's story is one of pain but ultimately triumph. Her story is told by her advocate and confidant, Lawrence Fisher. For more than five years his impassioned advocacy has helped Tanya as she has reintegrated into society. He successfully blends Tanya's story with his own insight into the legal issues surrounding the controversial case that followed Tanya's release. This multipronged approach gives the reader insight into Tanya's emotional state and the state of a criminal justice system that allowed her ordeal to happen.

Review:
Tanya was kidnapped in McKeepsort, PA. which is not very far from my home. This fact hooked me as soon as I heard of the book. Tanya grew up in a troubled household and turns to Tom who was a security guard at her school. As they become closer, Tom invited Tanya to come live with him. Once she moves to his house, he won't let her leave. Her capture ends up lasting for 10 years until she is finally freed by police. Her book is a summery of her capture and her life after.

I m always fascinated by stories of kidnapping survivors, like Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard. Her kidnapping is not quite as dramatic as others. I think because she went to live with Tom willingly, I was not as taken with her story. She was not dramatically kidnapped like Elizabeth or Jaycee. It was hard for me to imagine being held captive for 10 years of my life. Tanya lost much of her childhood innocence during that time. I was able to meet Tanya at a book signing where I got this book, and she is such a strong and inspiring woman! She is in college and engaged to be married! Tanya is definitely a survivor and a hero! I gave the book a B because there were some grammar and spelling errors and I wished she talked a little bit more about the kidnapping ordeal and less about her life after release. I got this book at my first book signing and it is a something that will always be near and dear to me heart!

Happy Reading!
Bookaholic

No comments:

Post a Comment