Friday, May 11, 2012

Review: Comeback: Overcoming the Setbacks in your Life

Title: Comeback: Overcoming the Setback in your Life
Author: Rick McDaniel
Source: Review from Publisher
Grade B

Synopsis from the back of the book
On the field of life, we all experience setbacks—bad decisions, job loss, divorce, health problems. Even countries around the world have experienced an economic setback due to the recession. Though we all experience setbacks, no one wants to take a step back. The good news is that a comeback is possible for anyone. Rick McDaniel will show you causes for your setbacks and lessons you can learn from them. He will help you to get ready for your comeback and guide you to the components and steps needed to make it happen. Along the way, he will share many inspiring stories of comebacks. Too many people allow their setback to be a step back. McDaniel will teach you setbacks do not control your life. If you have experienced a setback and are ready for your comeback, then this is for you.


Review
Many people face situations in their life that they feel are impossible to overcome. This may be a health issue, family issue, loss of job, etc... When people are faced with these tough situations, it is hard to think towards the future and not to dwell on the past. McDaniel's book talks about how to overcome these setbacks. He uses scriptures and stories as examples. These examples show that even if you may think your life is over, it is possible to move on and even become a better person because of what you have faced.


I was not overly impressed by this book. It was an easy and quick read, but it was not something I would probably read again. I do not watch sports or play sports (except for dance, which many people do not think is a sport, but I will spare you my lecture). Many of his examples of people overcoming setbacks involved athletes. Because I am not a sports fan these did not excite me. I didn't even know half of the people or events he was talking about.  My favorite part of the book was the very end, where  McDaniel listed his top ten greatest setbacks. It was interesting to read how different people overcame setbacks in their lives. I also really liked McDaniel's use of scripture. I am a Christian so I like the encouragement to look to the Bible to help you overcome what you are facing.Overall, I would not read this again,but I suggest this for people who are struggling with setbacks. I think that for sports fans this would be a great book to read! 


Happy Reading!
Bookaholic

*I was sent this book for review. All thoughts are my own and are not influenced by others.

No comments:

Post a Comment